Sunday, June 10, 2012

ECT Effects

I have been receiving ECT, Electro Convulsive Therapy, for a number of weeks now. I am currently ready to receive my 16th treatment this coming week. I was warned about some potential side effects that might become obvious as the treatments progressed. Some are indeed beginning to make themselves known.

I began ECT as conventional medication and talk therapy treatment was not effective in treating my complex depression and bipolar II disorder. I was in a deep suicidal depression. I had written my suicide notes to family and friends, placed them all so as to be found, purchased materials so as to carbon monoxide poison myself and had prepared myself to commit the final act. It was by some higher power that forces intercepted my suicidal path and prevented certain disaster. Clearly, ECT was warranted in treating my severe condition.

I am pleased to report that ECT has done wonders for me and my psychological state. My depression is now manageable and medications are now creating a positive response in keeping things under control. The downside is that some side effects have started to show up.

I began noticing the side effects as I returned to work. The first and most troubling is memory loss. I have been known in my workplace as a memory machine, able to juggle complex tasks, remember clients names and vital information and keep intricate details of designed systems at my mental fingertips. This task is now severely compromised.

I am finding simple tasks difficult, such as remembering peoples names, work place tasks and procedures and simple paperwork responsibilities. Remembering the details of my work day is also very tough and frustrating. A function that I used to excel at.

Concentration is also hard. I am finding that reading simple text, writing this blog and writing work place documents is a herculean effort. Again, tasks that I used to excel at and that came quite easily for me.

I am hopeful that once we reach the final therapeutic treatment of ECT that my memory and concentration will return to normal. I will keep you all posted as I progress with the treatments.

No comments:

Post a Comment