Saturday, June 23, 2012

Masks

Masks. One of my great struggles with close friends has been being honest about my depression. Even at my worst and lowest moments, even as I neared acting on my suicidal plan, I behaved normally. My depression was deeply hidden for the most part.

After my six weeks of hospitalization many friends revealed how in the dark they truly were about my depressed state. I had managed to hide my struggles with depression from even those closest to me. They knew I was struggling with a depressed mood, they just didn't know how badly I was falling.

This ability to hide my depression is one of my greatest weaknesses. This inability to seek help and counsel nearly cost me my life. I don't know if this condition stems from the deep sense of shame, personal failure or social stigma. I have been wrestling with this question since entering the hospital for this last recovery.

I think it all evolves from my upbringing. I was raised in a family that forged ahead even through the darkest struggles. You dusted yourself off and plowed headlong into the challenges presented to you. It was vital to place a bright and shiny image on all facets of family life.

Now in my adulthood I need to overcome this condition. I need to find some way of confiding in those close to me, even to my therapist, how my depression is effecting me on a daily basis. I need to be honest and open about my struggles with this mental condition and overlook the social stigma that accompanies it. I need to do this in order to remain alive, content and out of hospital.

I can't afford these stumbles that lead to prolonged hospitalization and lost income. I also need to get this condition in check if I am ever to have a happy and healthy relationship again. There are so many things I want to do with my life now. There are so many places I want to return to to visit. I want to snorkel in Bonaire. I want to own a Harley Davidson. I want to own a dog. The list is endless.

I am hopeful this last trip through the recovery process has placed me on a healthy course towards a full recovery. Each day as I move forward I am feeling abit brighter and more hopeful. Even though I am faced with a number of personal challenges, I feel great and wonderful things await me to experience again.

No comments:

Post a Comment