Thursday, June 30, 2011

Optimism


If ignorance breeds fear, then knowledge gives way to optimism. Optimism is my new buzz word, along with some of my favorites; hope, positive thinking, meditation and recovery.

Although my blog has had some pretty dark posts, and will again I'm certain, I am an optimistic person by nature. I genuinely want to get better and leave behind the heaviness, pessimism and hopelessness of depression.

Suffering with depression only to be met repeatedly with medications that don't relieve my symptoms has been frustrating to say the least. Now, with the prospect of a new diagnosis, recovery may actually be closer at hand.

Granted I need to come to terms with a seemingly more profound mental health issue, but if it means the daily pain, heartache and agony will be relieved then I must find a way to do so. I am most worried about the social stigma attached to mental illness. Depression is a struggle that more people can understand and sympathize with. Bipolar Disorder, in all it's variations, is less socially understood and I believe met with a higher degree of caution and worry.

So, to follow my opening motto, maybe I need to become involved in a support group that helps foster a better understanding of Bipolar Disorder in the community. Knowledge gives way to optimism!

Take Care Of Yourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment