Friday, July 1, 2011

Camaraderie


As anyone who suffers from depression will know, there is a consistent inner struggle to desire social connections while being drawn towards isolation. I fight that battle on a daily basis.

When I'm healthy I'm a very social person, desiring contact and involvement at a frequent and deep level. That is most likely why I enjoy being a salesman so much. At those healthy moments I'm clearly in my element. The relationship building process of a sale is very rewarding and a great deal of fun.

So, as a major component of my recovery from depression I have begun to schedule in social time. Thursday nights are a prime focus of my week. Each Thursday, my friends and I gather for a game of golf. The camaraderie we share fills me up and helps me grow stronger.

The one thing that this camaraderie is showing me is that we are all walking wounded. Each of us, even the seemingly healthy ones, have crosses to bear and struggles to overcome. We all desire contact and intimacy, while struggling with feelings of low self esteem. I never understood how prevalent self doubt has become in our culture.

This camaraderie is vital for me, and it really seems so for my friends as well. It is a great time to lighten up, laugh and reconnect. These moments help me feel less alone, less anxious and less depressed. The time with my friends has lasting effects typically well through the weekend.

Camaraderie is exceptionally beneficial!

No comments:

Post a Comment