Friday, July 22, 2011

Proper Tension

Our lives are like bicycle wheels that need to remain in proper tension. Each spoke pulls with a degree of tension to ensure the wheel remains true and can spin freely. To much tension in one direction can really disrupt the wheel and hence our lives.

The balance of work, relationships, recreation, sleep and our health are the spokes we need to periodically true up, or set straight. Lately, my work life has been extra busy and it has negatively effected my recreation time as well as my sleep.

I find that when the sales process slows up I work more frantically to make something happen. Normally the only thing that happens is that I become more stressed and frazzled by the longer hours. I put too much tension on those spokes and my wheel starts spinning out of shape.

It is in those times that I need to re-examine my life, check the spokes, and set them straight. If any portion of our lives takes up too much tension our life will spin abruptly. We need to periodically check in and examine our wheel's tension. Check the spokes for proper tension across the entire wheel. Make sure that sleep, work, relationships and recreation are all in proper balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment