Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Dignified Posture

Jon Kabat-Zinn writes at considerable length and diversity about the preferred posture while meditating. He states, "So, when we take our seat in meditation and remind ourselves to sit with dignity, we are coming back to our original worthiness."

Taking the time to create a space for meditation and also the correct posture to meditate with does indeed make a difference. If I sit relaxed I radiate low energy and passivity. If I sit tensely, well I'm just trying to direct to much, try to hard.

Jon Kabat Zinn uses the word dignity. "Everybody seems to instantly know that inner feeling of dignity and how to embody it." It can be hard, as I fight with depression, to feel dignified. To use the word dignity also takes into account that a person feels somehow worthwhile. Being ill has torn my self esteem and worthiness a great big hole. I fight feelings of worthlessness constantly.

When I am able to embody dignity I find that I sit with strong intentionality. My body in essence is making my mind ready for being open and ready. My meditation time is much more complete and fulfilling when I can begin with the correct posture. The mind does follow the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment