Friday, July 8, 2011

Being Present

Being present is one of the hardest things for me with depression. My mind races over everything I have done to place me in a miserable state; isolation, irritability and depressive apathy. It can be a real burden.

So, once again on Thursday, I hit the links with my friends. Two hours of concentrating on the present. Golf forces me into the here and now. I focus on my feet and where they are placed. I concentrate on keeping the club face adjacent to the ball. My hands occupy me with how they intertwine. The ball needs to know where I want it to go now; not the last hole or the next, rather the now hole!

Golf and the course also causes me to tune into my friends, how they are feeling and doing. We talk about things we just can't during our work day. The calmness of the course and the surroundings brings about connections. The social element is also very satisfying; the laughter, support and friendships are priceless.

Who could have guessed that the little game of golf could effect so much change. I feel the time together with my friends, the focus of the game and the beauty of the surroundings is doing wonders for me. Each week I count the days until Thursday at 5:00. Fore!

Take Care Of Yourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment