Monday, July 11, 2011

Sleep Hygiene


When I was in hospital I learned about the benefits of good sleep hygiene. This is just a fancy way to talk about the presleep rituals that can lead to a beneficial nights rest. It really can provide you with a super string of good night sleeps.

Our bodies become used to the rituals we set them through each day. We become used to waking at certain hours and our bodies crave sleep at certain times based on the schedules we keep. Our bodies will also prepare for sleep better if the ritual is the same each night and morning.

I have recently had a great string of some wonderful nights of uninterrupted sleep. For people with depression sleep can be very fleeting. This lack of sleep can really cause a spiral and downward turn for the worse. Poor sleeping patterns can also exacerbate a person's symptoms suffering with Bipolar. Good sleep can mean the difference between a healthy life and hospitalization.

I have developed my own sleep hygiene rituals and this has helped me maintain a healthy sleeping pattern. I take my medication at the same time each evening. I meditate for twenty minutes prior to sleep each night as well. The meditation at night helps tell my mind that I am readying for sleep. Setting my sleep at the same time each night also helps my body clock. My body and mind have learned that these rituals indicate sleep.

For me there is no better relief from the symptoms of depression other than a good nights rest. I wake refreshed and ready for the challenges of the day. Each night of good sleep is like topping of my fuel tank before a long journey. It helps to fuel me through the following day.

Take Care Of Yourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment