Friday, September 2, 2011

Patience

In my struggle with depression and bipolar disorder I have written about my newfound enjoyment of golf. At first the love was a result of the camradarie of being out with friends and the way these outings lifted my mood. The practice of golf has become more than just a social outing for me.

For me the game of golf helps me practice patience, focus and judgement. To enjoy the game requires one to slow down and focus, really be present to the situation. You notice the cut of the green and how the ball will roll, focus in on hand and foot placement, attention is paid to the club face and during the game one soaks up the peacefullness and beauty of the course.

These challenges that golf brings to me relate to my daily life as well. I feel a newfound sense of presence to my situations. I'm slowing down and really exercising thought and judgement. I notice that I am seeing more and walking through life less shut down. The measured slowness of golf is rubbing off beyond the links.

Last nights game we were me with a dramatic and beautiful sunset as well as some of the most beautiful cloud formations I have seen for some time. We shared some great time together, laughs as well as some serious discussions about our lives directions. These are all gifts that the crazy little game of golf bring to me each Thursday. I look forward to many more!

No comments:

Post a Comment