Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Music and Grief

Have you ever noticed that much of the music we listen to involves romantic attachment?  Breakups, love, reuniting, the heartache of missing the one we love and endless other romantically entwined topics are riddled throughout music.

I spend a great deal of time in my car as a sales rep and there was a time when my iPod was my best friend. These days he is a taunting adversary.

Each song that comes up covers the painful topics of love, longing and lust. From Jack Johnson to the Maccabees to the Zolas I can't escape it. I have reflashed and reloaded my iPod countless times lately to no avail. John Mayer reminds me of what a loser I feel like losing my one true love. Jason Mraz tells me how great the sex was and how empty I now feel missing it. Jack Johnson speaks to the incredible comfort of having the one true partner to just hang with. The music is relentless!

I find that more often than not I ride in silence. Even Cake caught me off guard with a song about how miserable mere friendship is compared with a deep romantic connection. This is all just music, don't even get me started on movies. How I long for silence!

No comments:

Post a Comment