Saturday, June 4, 2011

Creativity

Journey Stones by Matt June 2011
Accompanying this post is a photo I took today during my exploration of Acadia National Park. Funny, I was supposed to be in Augusta but I changed my plans early morning, then I received a surprise phone call and I was off to a national park for the day.

This photo represents a portion of my recovery that has yet been unstated. That portion is my deep need to create. John Folk-Williams has a number of posts concerning creativity and depression at his wonderful site, Storied Mind. I encourage you to visit.

I have come to realize that my fight with depression needs to contain a creative outlet. Writing this blog was the first step in that recovery process, my photos are another. I find that when I write or am seeking a new photo my inner concentration is so pinpointed as to disrupt the flood of depressive negative thoughts. When my mind is in this concentrated state seeking a positive creative place I am able to find a bit of a reprieve from all of the depressions negative self talk.

In essence, the swirl of creativity provides me with peace. The action of blocking time to plan my writing,  outline the general piece and write the post is extremely gratifying. Amidst the confusion of my depressed state of mind I am finding clarity in these exercises.

I am hopeful that the exercise of writing my thoughts and feelings as I recover from depression in this blog are helpful to some. This journey is so exceptionally painful, agonizing and numbing that I'm certain over the the coming year many posts will be hard to read and write. I hope you bear with me. I am finding that so little is known about true depression, the gut wrenching clinical depression that goes beyond the blues, and maybe my words will help others feel less alone in their struggles.

As I search for fellow travelers who are afflicted with this incredible pain I see a void of documented survival stories. I must say this worries me. There have certainly been many high profile creative minds that have succumbed to depression. I'm hopeful of finding a few that have lived to tell the tale.

Take Care Of Yourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment