Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Game Of Being Present

Golf. If ever there was a game about the need to remain in the present, it would have to be golf. I joined my friends tonight for a game of nine holes of golf. They have been encouraging me for over a year to join them but the isolation of depression has been such a strong pull.

In an effort to recover from this awful illness I have decided that being as social as possible is a requirement. So, I joined them. I almost cancelled, as the negative seductions of the entity almost won me over. I am so glad it didn't.

We had an absolute blast. Now I am not the best golfer but I managed to get a few nice shots in. I realized very quickly it is a game about being present. Jon Kabat-Zinn must be an exceptional golfer!

You need to be entirely present to your body, the club and the environment. You need to feel, hear, smell and be entirely present to each movement and motion. There is no past or future but only the here and now. It is a game of mindfulness. It is a game about friendship.

I'm so glad I joined my friends!

Take Care Of Yourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment