Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Source

Slider Falls by Matt June 2011
I think almost everyone I have read that struggles with depression wonders where it originated from. There are a number of factors that Doctors feel contribute to depression's development in people of all ages. Such as an emotionally troubled childhood, substance abuse, genetic contributing factors and brain injury.

I believe mine developed as a result of a traumatic brain injury suffered in December of 1990. I had never suffered from any depressive symptoms prior to this injury. Also, the illnesses onset was sudden and swift as if something shifted suddenly in my body's chemistry.

The initial depression in 1990 was very mild and short lived. It wasn't until years later that the truly deep agonizing depression kicked in. It slid in casually but took hold tenaciously. My life was extremely fulfilling. I had the greatest partner, a good job and a nice home. Everything should have been right, but the pain I was feeling everyday didn't make any sense.

I couldn't identify for myself what was wrong. I couldn't articulate it to my partner or friends. All I knew was that I felt miserable and by the time I realized it was depression it was to late. By the time I started an outpatient regiment of medication I was pretty far gone. I missed the early signs that by listing below may help others.

Hindsight is twenty twenty. I was tired much of the time. My sleep began to be interrupted by unusual dreams that became consistent disruptions. I was easily irritated and my decision making ability was mildly confused and indecisive. I also began to want to isolate and miss out on social events. I began having difficulty calling clients back. The worst was that I began feeling worthless. Worthless to the core, like no one would want to be with me, touch me, or listen to me.

All of these symptoms started slowly, but built rapidly to the point that I required fourteen days of hospitalization and fourteen days of outpatient therapy. I would encourage people to take the early signs of depression very seriously. I believe no matter the cause, early intervention will save a life.

Take Care Of Yourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment