Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Work and Balance

Pebbles by Matt June 2011
I returned to work a few days ago after six weeks off. Two of the weeks were as a result of my hospitalization. Two of the weeks were also as a result of my Intensive Outpatient Program.  The final two weeks consisted of a short motorcycle trip to see my sister and to take care of some transition items.

There is a part of me that feels I may need to find a new job. I am in sales and I worry the volatile nature of the economy, my illness and a change in my own life perspective may have me looking elsewhere to make a living.

Don't get me wrong, I know I can get back into the sales groove. I just don't know that I want to anymore. I feel like I want something deeper out of my vocation. I feel like the materialistic nature of sales may not be for me anymore.

First and foremost I feel like I want to help myself get better. I'm watching what I eat, I'm meditating, I'm exercising and sleeping well so I have those spokes in the wheel secure. Now I want to examine my work life. I want to contribute something of value.

I know the systems I sell have value, but I want to contribute something deeper, something more heartfelt. I don't know maybe the meditations have me all soft and liberal right now. But I can't help but feel there is something more to life than sales quotas, sales goals, and the bottom line.

No comments:

Post a Comment