Friday, May 20, 2011

Day One: Maine to Connecticut

Departure by Matt May 2011
Day one of my motorcycle trip and 400 miles are behind me. My depression was very prominent at the start of my journey this morning. I began on May 20th, 10:00 AM starting off from the front entrance of Acadia Hospital. The setting was very fitting for this journey.  The hospital has been such a focus point for me as I begin my recovery from depression.

Leaving from Acadia's doorstep is very symbolic for me, from hospitalization towards reconnecting my life with myself, family and friends by way of two wheels. The weather also was perfect providing me with darkened skies, mist and rain. The dreary skies were dark and rain drops met me fifteen minutes down the highway. From darkness to light, hopelessness toward hope.

The ride went very smooth, light rain to begin with, heavy rain through the midpoint and sun when I hit Sturbridge CT! My depression eased some when the sun broke through. I was even able to shed my rain jacket for a short while!

Riding for me is akin to flying, the speed, the agility and the raw environmental surge of the elements energizes me. My mind is focused on the road, the surroundings and others. I am able to contemplate my current recovery in brief momentary flashes which is good. The motorcycle does not permit me to dwell like a car does. You must always be aware and alert.

I arrived in Torrington after a very calm and drama free ride to a wonderful meal of chicken parmigiana made by my sister. She even made the sauce! A few minutes with Cathy and I knew this trip was a wise decision.

I am feeling very relaxed and ready for a good nights sleep followed by some quality time with my sister.
Tomorrow is a rest day with no time in the saddle.

Take care of yourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment