Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Different Sort of Milieu

Milieu by Matt May 2011
Deal's Gap North Carolina seems like a long way to travel to find a support group, but the universe is a strange place. Since beginning my blog I have become something of a publicist. When meeting folks the subject always arises of what we do.

I now proudly state I am a Security System Sales Engineer and I write a Mental Health Blog. It has amazed me how many people struggle with mental illness in their daily lives. For some the struggles are in their immediate families, while others are touched on the fringes of their days by friends or coworkers.

In conversations about fuel injectors, aftermarket exhaust systems and the best wet weather tires for our rides I found a new dynamic develop. There was a new discussion of bi-polar disorder, clinical depression and substance abuse.

This new milieu left me encouraged and less ashamed with my own personal struggle with depression. Strangers departed as friends with more than just brand loyalty to unite us. We left knowing we all share a heavy load in this life and that for a few moments we were able to shed a few pounds of concern and worry.

Take Care of Yourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment