Thursday, May 19, 2011

Mindfulness

"Mindfulness means paying attention on purpose to this moment without judging." This quote by Jon Kabat-Zinn captures so simply a very complex action.

As I have stumbled along with depression my monkey mind has truly gotten the best of me many a day. When I say monkey mind, I refer to the incessant  clamoring my mind churns through as I become overwhelmed. Worry about housing, bills, relationships, health and many other daily concerns is monkey mind. Mindfulness is the exact opposite of the worrying monkey mind.

Worry will destroy any mindfulness exercise. Worry is truly worthless in the realm of deep breathing, positive self talk and visualization that is the mindfulness exercise. Worry will disrupt my health, mental and physical. Worry will disrupt my state of being and sense of grace. I try not to cling to my worries. Easier said than done.

I realized very early in my Intensive Out-Patient Therapy that practicing and learning this skill will be critical to my personal recovery from depression. In order to clear my thinking from depression I need to learn to be present with my thoughts without them overwhelming me.

For me there are two moments during the day that my depression can get the best of me, waking and as I prepare for sleep each night. I now use this time routinely to exercise my mindfulness skills. I begin with slow deep breathing. Slowly breathe deeply in and hold for 4 seconds and then slowly exhale. While I do this I visualize a peaceful scene. As the scene clarifies in my mind I add positive self talk. "I am worthwhile", "I am valuable", "Life is Good.". As I breath, visualize and think positively I permit thoughts to drift pass. I try not to hurry them by nor cling to them. Instead I watch them parade pass without judgement. I do this exercise for 15 minutes before sleep and just as I wake for the day.

This exercise was taught to me by, Tony, one of my therapists at Acadia. This exercise has been extremely valuable to my daily frame of mind. It has helped me to begin managing my thoughts for a healthy life free of depression.

Thanks Tony!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Tony,

    Practice makes perfect. The skills I learned in your mindfulness group are an important part of my recovery keystones. I know others would benefit as well. Managing our thoughts is one of the best gifts we can provide ourselves during the chaos of recovery.

    ReplyDelete