Monday, May 16, 2011

Path Toward Acadia Hospital

The Path by Matt May 2011
I was admitted to Acadia Hospital's Observation Unit upon fears of my ever darkening mood and deteriorating condition. I was frightened, my mind creating imaginative images of the dysfunction I was sure to discover. I was scared of being labeled and subsequently trapped unable to leave until cleared by intolerant staff. The fears were overwhelming.

Gladly, the fears were unfounded. I was met by the most caring, dedicated and non-judgemental staff I have ever encountered in the health care profession. After a few interviews and case history information I was prescribed medications and was able to sleep. The four days prior of sleeplessness had me haggered and I slept the majority of the Friday through to Sunday afternoon. I was kept in observation from Friday till Monday due to a lack of bed space on the in patient floors. I stirred a few times to eat, drink and grab a shower. The staff was extremely kind and supportive.

While present in observation I was evaluated on a daily basis. The staff assured me I would be kept safe and this allowed me to relax abit and sleep.

Knowing what I know now I would encourage people toward early intervention. I waited to long to seek professional help with my early symptoms and signals of disconnection. By the time I raised my hand for help I was headed to inpatient psychiatric hospitalization. Had I been less afraid of social stigmas, fears and ignorance of the mental healthcare networks I would never have required hospitalization. Had my loved ones been more aware of the early danger signs of depression someone may have been able to help. As it was the signs came to intensely and to late.

Some of the early warning signs friends and family reported to me afterward were:
1) Less Talkative.
2) Disconnection from friends and loved activities.
3) More frequent sick days from work.
4) Sudden unusual sleep patterns.
5) Sudden weight loss.

These are just a few symptoms that loved ones can use to gauge a persons depression. For me, I was oblivious to the subtle changes that my loved ones saw first.

Take care of yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment