Sunday, May 15, 2011

Surviving the Weekends

Weekends! My depression becomes voraciously hungry during the weekends. Having unscheduled time at this stage of my recovery, only three weeks on medication, is not good. Throw in two days of overcast skies and rain, well you get the picture.

As I am discovering, having unscheduled time to sit and allow my mind to roam is equivalent to leaving the bedroom closet door ajar so the monster lurking within can devour me. So I have planned my weekend.

This blog has been central to my dealing with depression and to give back to those like myself. When I first became aware of my depression I looked for information on the Internet and a few blogs really stood out.

Storiedmind.com
Recoverlifefromdepression.com
Happinesspirsuing.blogspot.com

These sites did and do provide me with a great deal of insight and inspiration.

So here is my formula for a healthy and depression lite weekend. Remember that this has worked for me and each person is different. I hope you find these tips helpful.

1. Plan: Plan a special event or moment each day just for yourself. Going for a walk, movie, art gallery or simply to meet friends.
2. Make a list: Crossing things off my list is fabulous as it reinforces a sense of completion and feeling of improved self esteem.
3. Journal: Maintaining a journal can help provide a realistic sense of progress.
4. Sleep: Keep your sleep schedule the same as during the week. Same time to bed and the same time to rise. You will find that your sleep will remain more regulated over your recovery.
5. Think Positive: Thinking positive will help you to combat the negative self talk!

Obviously, these tips are great for each day of the week. I list them here because as I recover and work to make myself well again, the downtime of weekends present themselves as a trap toward backsliding into negative self expression.

Don't permit that! Take care of yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment