Tuesday, May 17, 2011

On the Road of Recovery

The beginning of my road of recovery is firmly rooted on April 25th, 2011. That is the day I was moved from the observation unit at Acadia Hospital to the in patient floor of Unit 3 North. That is the day for me when the real work was just beginning. It was the first day when I had to share with my peers my feelings of worthlessness and plans of suicide.

Once on the floor and checked in, the support groups and discussions with other patients began. I could no longer isolate and hide my self loathing. The days of being super independent were closing down rapidly.

That is when something dramatic occurred for me, I opened up. I suddenly felt the need to express my feelings in the company and support of people just like me. I could see and hear in the faces and voices of my fellow support group members what I knew about myself. I was in pain just like these folks. I was lost, scared, had low self esteem and desperately wanted to be better.

The staff of 3 North were amazing. They provided encouragement, support and challenges to each of us based on our needs. For me, simply, they saved my life. The countless hours of sitting and listening, guiding and supporting fed me at a time when I was the most hungry for change. I owe them so much more than words can express.

Today, I am winding down from my phase of out-patient care, more about that later. I can tell you in preview the staff and peers in out patient are outstanding. I am fortunate to spend my days with an incredible group of courageous people.

Together we will recover!

No comments:

Post a Comment