Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A Tale of Kudzu and Depression

Kudzu by Matt May 2011
As I rode through Maggie Valley North Carolina I was aware of a heavy growth covering everything by the sides of the road. A local in Cherokee told me it is Kudzu, a creeping ground cover that consumes everything in its path. It wraps around light poles, trees and vegetation, roofs, buildings and anything it damn well feels like.

Kudzu reminds me of my struggle with depression. Like Kudzu, depression slithers its way slowly into and around everything joyous until it squeezes the happiness out of it. Every facet of my life is effected, nothing is spared. Work, friends, partner and family ties all suffer.

My depression can grow quickly, spiraling me into a deep free fall. Like Kudzu, my depression can grow up in the most amazing places when I least expect it. If let go, it will lay waste to the most positive plans and happiest memories I can generate.

The man I spoke with, Tyler, said you always need to be vigilant and keep at the Kudzu or it will over run. Just like depression!

Take Care of Yourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment